Applications are now open!
EDD 2017 will take place in Brussels on 7 and 8 June 2017. They will focus on the international community’s strategic response to the most pressing global challenges of the day, as part of the international effort to meet the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The event will bring together development actors committed to tackling poverty worldwide, with an emphasis on engaging the private sector as a key and responsible partner in economic development. This year’s forum – Investing in Development – will include three main themes: Investing in People and Planet, Investing in Prosperity, Investing in Peace and Partnerships. Achieving inclusive and sustainable growth, creating decent jobs, particularly for women and young people can be achieved.
During their visit to Brussels, Young Leaders get the chance to visit European institutions, participate in workshops, meet key policymakers and interact with other young people driving change around the world. They will speak at various sessions and enjoy full access to the whole conference. Travel and accommodation is covered by the European Commission.
The application process will involve three key stages.
1. A “profile” stage, where you will be asked to fill in personal details and send a Curriculum Vitae detailing your skills, with special emphasis on leadership and public speaking skills. You will also be required to present yourself and your engagement, in a short 2-min video and explain why you want to participate in EDD 2017 and why you would be a good representative for your chosen topic.
2. A “leadership” stage, where you will be asked to state which group or organisation you might be representing during EDD 2017. It is important, although not mandatory, to demonstrate that you will be representing other youth or civil society organisations. This can include representing a formal organisation, a social movement, an academic institution, club, representing the conclusions of a consultation, manifesto, conference or debate process, or having been selected by other children or youth in some way. This section will require the name and full contact information of the organisation you might be representing, a brief description of your role in this organisation. You will be asked for a reference letter from someone who can testify that you are a qualified leader, including contact details.
3. An “involvement” stage, where you will be asked to give examples of your active commitment to a cause related to one of your topics of choice. Your involvement can include a variety of different activities, such as building a project, conducting research, or volunteering for a cause related to your topic. You will be required to include key achievements, a project background description and a description of your role in the project. You should outline leadership skills, commitment to the relevant topic, and future plans or ambitions in the field of the chosen topic. You will also be able to upload up to 3 supporting files for each project.
• Applicants must be between 21 and 26 at the time of the forum (7-8 June 2017).
• Applications are open to young adults from all around the world, without restriction of nationality.
• Applications must be submitted in one of the following official European Commission languages: English / French / Spanish. The candidate must be able to speak clearly and comprehensively in one of these languages, as well as have a mandatory intermediate level of English.
• Applicants must be able to travel to and participate in EDD 2017 in Brussels (Belgium) from 31 May to 10 June 2017. Evaluation criteria We will evaluate your application based on three criteria:
• 40% Your knowledge of your chosen topic and the relevance of your active engagement. We encourage candidates to show how their activities have had an impact on the community.
• 30% Your role as a representative of an organisation, other youth or community, and your leadership experience or potential.
• 30% Your public speaking skills and ability to speak at a high-level panel.
Applications deadline : March 9,2017.